- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, finely diced (it would also be great with mushrooms and/or Courgette!)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeños (optional)
- 287g black beans, cooked and drained
- 83g vegan shredded cheese
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas (or sub 8 corn tortillas)
FOR SERVING optional
- Heat oil in a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and continue to cook until slightly softened and brightened in color, about 5 minutes. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, jalapenos (optional), and black beans, and mix to evenly distribute.
- Add the lesser amount of cheese to the bean/vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Taste and adjust, adding more cumin for smokiness, chili powder or jalapeños for spiciness, or vegan cheese for cheesiness! Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and place a tortilla in the pan. After 1 minute the tortilla should be warm and pliable. Spread 1/4 of the quesadilla filling over half of the tortilla then fold the tortilla over to enclose the filling. Let the quesadilla cook until golden and slightly crispy on the underside, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is also golden and crispy.
- Transfer quesadilla to a plate, and repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and filling. Slice into triangles and serve! Delicious with guacamole and/or salsa
- Leftover filling will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and cooked quesadillas for 1-2 days. Both the filling and quesadillas are freezer friendly. Reheat in a skillet until warmed.