- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 225g tomato paste
- 1 vine ripe tomato finely chopped
- ¼ green pepper finely chopped
- 300g fine bulgur wheat
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained (or 240g dried and hydrated How to Cook Dried Chickpeas (Ultimate Guide))
- 700ml broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and green peppers, and continue to cook with the onions until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bulgur, cumin, salt and pepper, and stir to combine until the bulgur is completely coated in the tomato paste, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas on top along with 3 cups of broth or water and stir to combine. Remove from heat, close the lid and allow the bulgur to absorb the liquid for 10 minutes. Open the lid and fluff with a fork.
- Serve with chopped parsley and fresh vegetables, if desired.