- 400 g pasta of choice
For the smoky sun-dried tomato bites:
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (the dry kind, not in oil), sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
Fry off some of the Smokey Tempeh from our fridge section
For the carbonara:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 ½ cups plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon kala namak (also called Black Salt – for eggy flavour) option to use regular salt if preferred
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Mix together the sun-dried tomatoes, soy sauce, and liquid smoke in a small bowl and set aside to absorb the flavours while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat the onions, let cook for about 60 seconds, then whisk in all of the remaining ingredients. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until thickened, whisking as needed. If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash more plant-based milk, and if the sauce is too thin, simply cook it longer.
- Add the cooked pasta and the marinated sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce and toss well to combine. Serve hot. Garnish with parsley and vegan parmesan if desired.