This recipe is from BBC Good Food and is a recipe for Vegan Christmas Cake 🙂 As Stir up Sunday is this weekend, there is still time to get your ingredients for us! Everything that is in bold is available from the Shop 🙂 Substitute eggs for chia seeds in this vegan take on a traditional Christmas cake. The coconut oil adds a great background flavour and keeps the cake moist
- 1kg mixed dried fruit (use a mix of raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, cranberries, prunes or figs)
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 150ml rum, plus extra for feeding
- 250g coconut oil
- 200g light soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 175g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 100g flaked almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- STEP 1 – Put the dried fruit, zests and juice, rum, coconut oil and sugar into a large pan set over a medium heat. Give it a good mix, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins until the sugar has dissolved. Tip the mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool for 30 mins.
- STEP 2 – Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line a deep 20cm cake tin with a double layer of baking parchment, then wrap a double layer of newspaper around the outside, tying it with string to secure. Mix the chia seeds with 150ml water. Leave to sit for 5 mins until gel-like and thick.
- STEP 3 – Add the remaining ingredients to the fruit mixture, along with the chia seed mix, and stir well, making sure there are no pockets of flour. Tip into your prepared tin, level the top with a spoon and bake in the centre of the oven for 2 hrs.
- STEP 4 – Remove the cake from the oven, poke holes in it with a skewer and spoon over 2 tbsp of rum. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- STEP 5 – To store, peel off the baking parchment, then wrap well in cling film. Feed the cake with 1-2 tbsp alcohol every fortnight, until you ice it. Don’t feed the cake for the final week to give the surface a chance to dry before icing.
If you do make a cake PLEASE take a picture and tag us on social media @harmless_store . We can’t wait to see them!!