470ml veggie broth
350ml plant-based milk (we used almond)
240g dry polenta
3 tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
Olive oil for brushing
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
about a quarter onion
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, minced
4 springs fresh oregano, minced
1 tsp salt
¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, depending on desired spice level
1 tablespoon + 1 tsp tomato paste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- To make the polenta fries, bring broth and milk to a boil and whisk in polenta. Continue to cook, stirring, until smooth, about 30 minutes. Add butter, nutritional yeast, garlic or garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Line a 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, pour polenta in and press into the pan until smooth. Cover with plastic or reusable wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Remove polenta from the baking dish and slice into fries about ¼ inch thick.
- Preheat the oven to 230 C.
- To make the marinara dipping sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes and tomato paste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce reduces significantly, up to an hour. Stir in vinegar.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to purée into a smooth dipping sauce.
- Add fries to a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space between each fry. Brush the fries with olive oil and bake 10 min. Remove from oven, flip the fries and brush the other side. Return to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes longer, until golden brown.