- 1 cup yellow split peas (uncooked)
- 2 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, whole seeds or ground
- 2 whole cloves
- Dash pepper, to taste
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large pot, combine the uncooked yellow split peas and the water or vegetable broth. Bring to a slow simmer.
- Add the turmeric, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cover.
- Cook for at least 20 minutes, covered, until the yellow split peas are fully cooked, stirring occasionally. If you prefer a smoother texture, continue to cook the dal for an additional 10 to 15 minutes to allow the yellow split peas to break up even more.
- Once the split peas are almost done, in a separate large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin, and clove in the margarine. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the spiced onion mixture to the split peas, and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
- Add a dash of pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with rice or alone in a soup bowl. Enjoy!