- 170g millet
- 470ml filtered water
- 240ml unsweetened coconut milk (from a carton, not a can), plus more for topping
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste, plus more for topping
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of fine sea salt, to taste
For the Millet Porridge
- Add the millet to a large, dry saucepan and toast over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and wafting a soft toasted scent, stirring occasionally and being careful not to let it burn.
- Add the water. The water may sputter, so be careful as you’re pouring. Stir and increase heat to high. Once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and the millet has puffed up a bit.
- Stir in the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla (if using), and sea salt, and increase heat to medium. Simmer for another 4 to 6 minutes or until the porridge has reached desired texture and thickness, stirring frequently to prevent the porridge from sticking the bottom of the pan. For a thinner porridge, simmer for less time and for a thick and creamy porridge, simmer until most of the coconut milk has been absorbed.
- Divide the porridge between 3 to 4 bowls and sprinkle with the coconut-walnut topping. Drizzle with more coconut milk and maple syrup, if desired. Serve warm.