Ready in 30 minutes
Serves 2 people
- 1 aubergine
- 2 carrots
- 2 small spring onions
- 20g cashew nuts
- ½ red chilli
- 4cm fresh ginger
- 1tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp miso paste (use rest from Lazy Lasagne)
- 80g brown rice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Preheat the oven to 200C / fan 180C / gas mark 6. Boil a kettle. Rinse the rice, then place in a pan with 600ml lightly salted boiling water. Simmer for 20-25 mins, then drain.
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and cut a criss-cross pattern into its flesh (be careful not to cut the skin). Rub the flesh with half the sesame oil, place on a lined tray (flesh-side up) and bake for 10 mins, until softening.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut into long, thin strips using a peeler. Thinly slice the spring onions. Finely chop the half chilli (remove the seeds for less heat). Roughly chop the coriander.
- Peel the ginger and grate. Place in a bowl with the miso and maple syrup, then mix. After the aubergine has been cooking for 10 mins, spread two-thirds of the miso mix over evenly. Return to the oven for 15 mins or until the miso has turned golden and the aubergine has softened. Add the cashews to the side of the tray for the final 5 mins of cooking.
- Heat a large frying pan with the remaining sesame oil on a medium heat. Cook the spring onions, half the chilli and the remaining miso mix for 1 min, then add the edamame and carrots and cook for 2 mins. Add the cooked rice, coriander, tamari and the juice from half the lime; cook for a further 2 mins.
- Serve the rice topped with the miso aubergine. Sprinkle over the cashews and remaining chilli (to taste). Squeeze over the remaining lime juice.
Cook the rice in some stock to increase the flavour