- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 0.5 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 0.75 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 225 g orzo pasta , uncooked
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 1 can chopped tomatoes , canned
- 590ml vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 12 g fresh basil , chopped (sub with parsley)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 1 minute until garlic is light golden brown.
- Add the orzo and stir to coat well. Cook for 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the orzo and incorporate flavors. Move around occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Pour in the white wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks down. About 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the diced tomatoes (with juices) and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and salt. Turn heat up to get it boiling. Once boiling, turn heat down to maintain a low simmer. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes or until liquid has mostly cooked down and orzo is tender. Stir often to prevent sticking and uncover the last few minutes of cook time.
- Remove from heat and add the capers and fresh basil. Stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Let the orzo sit uncovered for 1-2 minutes. This will give it time to thicken up. Serve with vegan parmesan and fresh-cracked pepper. Enjoy!