- ½ tbsp oil (or broth/water)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 192g red split lentils, rinsed (see notes if using different lentils)
- 2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 450ml diced tomatoes, canned (or fresh)
- 237 ml coconut milk
- 240g chickpeas
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 15g spinach, packed*
*Ingredient not available from Harmless
- Heat oil or broth/water in a deep saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the curry powder and cumin. Toast the spices for 1 minute.
- Add broth, lentils and diced tomatoes. Raise the heat to bring to a low boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer with the lid on for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are tender. Stir periodically.
- Add the coconut milk, chickpeas, and dash of cinnamon. Cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes until heated through. Taste and adjust the flavour as desired. Add some spice with a chilli powder, red chilli flakes, chilli garlic sauce, or other hot sauce if you would like a spicier curry!
- Stir in the spinach and remove from heat.
- Serve with turmeric rice or a rice of your choosing, roasted vegetables, and/or Indian naan bread.