- Onions and garlic
- Carrots and celery
- Fresh oregano or thyme
- Tomato paste
- Red wine -optional
- Fresh tomatoes –sub canned tomatoes
- Veggie stock -or substitute water plus veggie boullion
- Hemp seeds (or toasted walnuts or pecans) no grinding necessary!
- Balsamic vinegar
- Saute onion in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic, continue cooking and stirring about 5 minutes. Add herbs and seasonings.
- Add tomato paste, browning it a bit. Add a generous splash of red wine and cook this off. (Optional
- Add tomatoes and their juices. Add the lentils, hemp seeds ( no grinding necessary!) or walnut nuts, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes
- Once the lentils are tender, remove the lid and cook off some of the liquid
- Taste and adjust seasonings, and stir in the balsamic vinegar
- Serve! Spoon this over creamy polenta or toss it with your favourite pasta or Jacket Potato
TVP/ SUNFLOWER MINCE BOLOGNESE
- 72g TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) or Sunflower Mince
- 36g Boiling Water
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Veggie Bouillon Can sub. vegan bouillon
- 1/2 Tbsp Miso Optional.
- 1 Medium Carrot Peeled and chop into small dice.
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Peeled and chop into small dice.
- 2 Celery Sticks Chop into small dice.
- 3 Garlic Cloves Peeled and chop into small dice.
- 293g Crushed Tomato or Canned Whole Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Combine olive oil, miso paste, veggie bouillon, and boiling water into a medium size bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add texturized vegetable protein to the liquid mixture and mix well. The TVP should be completely incorporated in the liquid.
- Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. If you are using a non-stick pan coat the surface with 1 tablespoon of oil before heating.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery to the hot pan and season with a few pinches of salt to draw out the moisture. Cook until the onions are translucent (approx. 4 minutes).Note: If the vegetables begin to brown before they are translucent lower the heat.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for one minute.Note: if the mixture is too dry at any point add the remaining 1/2 T olive oil, and stir.
- Add the dry spices (rosemary, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves). Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rehydrated TVP mixture and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir. If you’re using whole tomatoes crush them in the pan with a fork. Season with a few pieces of salt and grinds of fresh black pepper. Lower the heat to low, and cook for approximately 45 minutes with a lid slightly ajar. Stir every 5-10 minutes. After 20 minutes tastes for seasoning and add more salt if necessary. Continue to cook until the sauce is thick and any extra water has evaporated.Taste at the end of 45 minutes for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.